Dr. Matthew Hicks: Mental Health & Psychedelic Science
also available on
Mental Health is a huge part of our clinical practice at Alter Health. We don't see the mind and body as distinct entities. That said, addressing the area of Mental Health directly is not something we have yet done on this podcast!
I was happy to connect with my colleague, and ex-classmate, Dr. Matthew Hicks, who has specialized in this area from a holistic, naturopathic perspective.
Among other things, Matthew is passionate and well-informed of the emerging field of Psychedelic Medicine, an absolute area of interest of mine as well! This topic filled the bulk of our conversation, though we covered so many other wonderful areas in the world of mental health.
Some highlights include...
- Matthew's personal connection with Mental Health and witnessing the Mind-Body connection
- Ways addressing mental health symptoms with vitamins and nutrients
- The conventional approach to mental health and why it is failing
- The value of human connection and heart-to-heart conversation
- Getting out of your comfort zone to heal loneliness and isolation
- How MDMA, psilocybin, DMT (ayahuasca), and LSD impact cognitive function
- The clinical utility of psychedelic substances in mental health
- Why SET and SETTING are fundamentally important in when using any psychoactive substance
- What the future holds of psychedelic medicine
Hope you enjoy! Please feel free to leave a comment, rating, or review on whatever platform you choose to tune in on!
About Dr. Hicks
Dr. Matthew Hicks, ND, MS, specializes in mental health with a non-judgmental and holistic approach that incorporates mindfulness, nutrition, amino acid therapy, herbs, and medication management. He bases his treatments on genetic and biological testing and clinical experience in collaboration with his patients. He is also knowledgeable on the emerging field of psychedelic medicine. Dr. Hicks completed a Master of Science in Integrative Medical Research (MS) in addition to his Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine (ND) from the National University of Natural Medicine.
He also hosts a podcast called Integrative Psychiatry Review which you can follow on all major podcasting platforms or his website drmatthewhicks.com.