Dr. John Douillard: Ancient Ayurvedic Wisdom and Cleansing for Longevity
also available on
I heard a talk by Dr. John speak when I was a student in the Institute for Integrative Nutrition years ago, before starting medical school. As a yogi, Ayurvedic philosophy deeply resonated. The concepts of balance and aligning with rhythms of nature makes so much sense, and just feels good! Dr. John recommended that I see and interact with the world through an Ayurvedic lens.
Even though I haven't taken any deep dive into Ayurveda, I've allowed basic ayurvedic concepts to guide my lifestyle and clinical practice.
I was thrilled to connect with Dr. John for a deep conversation about longevity through the lens of ayurveda. It turns out that there are indeed ancient ayurvedic traditions that have now been proven to promote longevity in many ways.
Some highlights include...
- How Dr. John stumbled into Ayurveda in the 1980s
- The topic of contaminants and heavy metals in Ayurvedic herbs
- The branch of ayurveda known as "Rasayana" known to promote longevity
- Lifestyle practices that are important to promote longevity
- How eating with the seasons extends your healthspan
- Optimizing the microbiome through cultivating peace and kindness
- Ways to transmute chaotic, "rajasic" energy to extend telomeres
- The importance of withdrawing the senses and going inward to activate stem cells
Hope you enjoy! Please feel free to leave a comment, rating, or review on whatever platform you choose to tune in on!
About Dr. John
Dr. John Douillard, DC, CAP is author of seven health books (including bestselling Eat Wheat and The 3-Season Diet), seven online courses (including new Yoga Journal course Ayurveda 201 on Ayurvedic Psychology), and numerous free eBooks. He is a former NBA nutritionist and creator of LifeSpa.com—where ancient Ayurvedic wisdom meets modern science—with thousands of free articles, resources, and videos. LifeSpa is a leading wellness resource, with nine million+ YouTube views and over 130k newsletter subscribers.